In according to me the best camera in street photography is the simplest one. The simplest camera in street photography is a mobile phone.
I must say that I have never shoot street photography with a “real camera” (except a few times with a cheap digital camera), but what I think is: why struggle with a lot of settings when I just need to click a button to take a photograph?
But sometimes I get suckered into thinking that the best camera is the one with the highest resolution, and also the expensive one. Wrong.
Why shoot with a mobile phone
My phone is the only tool I have to create images, and not only, I use it to write, blog, edit, post process and share my photos.
In according to me, phones are the best cameras for photography and street photography.
Here are some reasons:
- My phone is always with me, in my hands: no more excuses to not shoot street photography.
- Instant shooting: I just need to open my camera app and shoot, without worrying about technical settings.
- It’s less obstructive for me and the subject. Phones are not heavy like many ‘real cameras’, so I can shoot for a long time without being tired. The subject feels more comfortable to be shot with a small camera instead of a big one.
- Shoot more: phones have got unlimited storage space and uploading photos on backup apps it’s free. No more excuses on not shoot a lot.
- Easy to shot candid street photography: I use to shoot a lot candid street photography, with a phone people don’t notice me, phones are everywhere.
- It’s cheaper: phones camera have got great image resolution, similar to most of the expensive ‘real camera’ out there.
- Instant sharing on social media and with friends and instant post processing (I use Snapseed, the best mobile photography editing app, for me).
At the end what I learned is to not seek the best camera but seek the simplest camera, in my case a mobile phone.