I’ve just arrived in Germany where I will spend my Christmas holidays with my grandparents. Here I feel at home (despite my home is in South Italy). Here I can leave all my problems at home and can really mediate on my life.
2017 was a really crazy year for me, with good and bad moments. I had the opportunity to travel a little bit: I went two days in Berlin and a week in Barcelona and visited some cities in Catalonia. I recently moved to a big city, with less than half million inhabitants, in southern Italy, to continue my studies. But l had also bad moments, in August my grandfather passed away at the age of 70 for an heart disease, I can’t describe how l feel and how it is to lost a very important person in my life, it is very hard. The end of 2017 was a really shitty period for me.
During this period I’ve discovered that life (despite the many problems) is fucking beautiful. I learned to apprentice more my life (like I wrote in my latest articles) and not give it for grantet. I live once, why waste my life?
During this year I:
- realized that life is fucking beautiful. Life, with its ups and downs, with its bad and good moments, is beautiful. Every day I’m very grateful to be alive. I’m grateful that I’ve got the gift of sight and I can see the world; I’m grateful to live in a period in which photogrphy is accessible to everybody.
- use street photography as a way to walk, walk around my neighbourhood, my town and just wander, without a predetermined destination. I just take my camera (my phone) and go for a walk to clear my mind from depressing and negative thoughts. I walk slowler, and let my eyes wander on things that interest me. By walking, street photography reduces my stress. It’s a way to be happier. I photograph whatever interests me, without prejudice. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if I make good pictures or not, I’ve just reduced my stress and had a nice walk.
- discovered that street photography is not only a way to make pretty photos. I think that street photography is a tool of self-exploration. I meditate on life, people and the world.
New year resolutions
I don’t know what will happen in 2018 but this is a list of thinghs I would like to do in 2018:
- Attend a street photography workshop
- Buy a photography book every month
- Buy a film camera and start shooting film photography
- Shot more street photographs with permission
- Travel around Europe and maybe around USA
- Meet others street photographers
- Go to art exhibitions.
Here is a review of my 2017 in terms of my photographic journey:
My 2017 best photographs
My 2017 best blog posts
- Fear in street photography
- 5 street photography techniques
- Street photography in boring places
- Street photography as walking meditation
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.